Methodology of system dynamics for decision support in agriculture
Miroljub KLJAJIĆ, Andrej ŠKRABA and Črtomir ROZMAN
The sustainable development of complex systems, and therefore agriculture as a relevant part of ecology, should be the permanent development paradigm of mankind. Conditions should be provided so that nature could regenerate itself by allowing for only a reasonable impact of human activity and presence on nature and in such a way preserve resources for the next generation. In this article, we discuss system dynamics as a holistic research methodology in the support of dynamic complex problems. Our goal is to demonstrate the usefulness of System Dynamics (SD) methodology in research and its implementation for public decision support. We briefly discuss the fundamentals of SD methodology models and causal loop diagrams (CLD) as well as model validation. Some examples of modelling for public decision assessment of sustainable development using SD have been demonstrated. The advantage of SD is in its natural language problem definition, which can be easily transformed into a directed graph that is convenient for qualitative and quantitative analysis in computer programs. System Dynamics enables studying the behaviour of complex dynamic systems as the feedback processes of reinforcing and balancing loops.
Key words: system dynamics, modelling, complex systems, decision assessment, systems approach, agriculture
CITATED REFERENCES :
- Ackoff RL. Ackoff’s Best: His Classic Writings on management. John Wiley and Sons. Collected papers, Waltham, MA: Pegasus Communications, 1998.
- Bockermann A, Meyer B, Omannc I, Spangenberg JH. Modelling sustainability: comparing an econometric (PANTA RHEI) and a system dynamics model (SuE). J.
Poly. Model. 2005, 27(2):189–210.
- Bounias M, Wolff KE, Tsirigotis G, Krasnoholovets V, Kljajić M, Burdyuzha V, Bonaly A. Science responsibility and scientists concern for evolution of planet Earth: a manifesto on action for world's peace and harmony. In: DUBOIS, Daniel M. (ed.). CASYS, Operations research and risk management models engineering systems, optimization and simulation: partial proceedings of CASYS'05. Int. J. Comp. Antic. Syst. vol. 19. Liège: CHAOS. 2006
- Elshorbagy A, Jutla A, Barbour L. System dynamics approach to assess the sustainability of reclamation of disturbed watersheds. Can. J. Civil Eng. 2005;32 (1):144–158.
- Forrester JW. Industrial dynamics-A major breakthrough for decision makers. Harv. Bus. Rev. 1958;36(4):37–66.
- Forrester JW. World Dynamics. Wright-Allen, Cambridge, UK, 1971.
- Forrester JW. Industrial dynamics. MA: MIT Press, Cambridge, UK, 1973.
- Forrester JW. Policies, decisions and information sources for modelling. Eur. J. Oper. Res. 1982;59(1):42–63.
- Guo HC, Liu L, Huang GA, Fuller R, Zou Y, Yin Y. A system dynamics approach for regional environmental planning and management: A study for the Lake Erhai Basin. J. Environ. Man. 2001;61(1):93–111.
- Kljajić M. The relevance of systems methodologies in the development of organizational systems. Organizacija, 2009;42(4):119–128.
- Kljajić M, Farr J. Importance of systems engineering in the development of information systems. In: D. Paradise (Ed). Emerging systems approaches in information technologies: concepts, theories, and applications. Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference, 2010:51–66.
- Kljajić M, Legna VC, Škraba A, Peternel J. Simulation model of the Canary islands for public decision support - preliminary results. In R. L. Eberlein (ed.), Diker V. G. (ed.), Langer R. S. (ed.) and Rowe J. I. (ed.) Proceedings of the 21st international conference of the system dynamics society. New York City, USA, July 20–24, 2003. [Albany]: The System Dynamics Society, 2003.
- Kljajić M, Verna CAL, Škraba A. System Dynamics model development of The Canary islands for supporting strategic public decisions: Proceedings of the 20th international conference of the system dynamics society, July 28–August 1. 2002. Palermo, Italy: The System Dynamics Society, 2002:87–103.
- Legna VC. Bases para la promoción del desarrollo social y creación de una red sindical de intercambiode información y de formación. Estudio de Canarias. European Trade Union Confederation, 2002.
- Legna VC, González CS. An Intelligent decision support system (IDSS) for public decisions using system dynamics and case based reasoning (CBR). Organizacija, 2005;38(9):530–535.
- Legna VC, Rivero CJL. Las particularidades de las Regiones Ultraperiféricas y la necesidad de instrumentos específicos. Especial referencia a Canarias (Document elaborated for the Canarian Government). La Laguna: University of La Laguna, 2001.
- Legna VC, Škraba A. A methodology for improving strategic decisions in social systems with a lack of information. In: Kljajić M, (ed.), Weber G.H. (ed.), Akar H. (ed.). Recent advances in systems, decision making, education and other complex problems. Organizacija 2010;43(3):102–112.
- Meadows D.L, Donella H, Dennis L.M, Jorgen R, William W.B. The limits to growth. New York: Universe Books, 1972.
- Mesarovic M, Pestel E. Mankind at the turning point: the second report to the Club of Rome, Dutton and co. Reader's Digest press, New York, 1974.
- Nalil RFA. System dynamics model for national energy policy planning. Syst. Dynam. Rev. 1992;8(1):1–19.
- Rozman Č, Škraba A, Kljajić M, Pažek K, Bavec M, Bavec F. The system dynamics model for development of organic agriculture: 8th international conference on computing anticipatory systems, August 6-11 2007 Liege, Belgium, 2007:380–389.
- Rozman Č, Škraba A, Pažek K, Kljajić M, Bavec M, Bavec, F. Determination of effective policies for ecological agriculture development with system dynamics and agent based models - case study in Slovenia. In: Kljajić M (ed.), Lasker G.E. (ed.). 23rd conference on system research, informatics and cybernetics, Baden-Baden, Germany, August 1-5, 2011. Advances in simulation-based decision support, Volume II. Tecumseh: International Institute for Advances Studies, 2011:26–30.
- Saysel A.K, Barlas Y, Yenigun O. Environmental sustainability in an agricultural development project: a system dynamics approach. J. Envir. Man. 2002;64(3):247–260.
- Shen Q, Chen Q, Tang B.S, Yeung S, Hu Y and Cheung G. A system dynamics model for sustainable land use planning and development. Habitat International. 2009;33(1):15–25.
- Shi T, Gill R. Developing effective policies for the sustainable development of ecological agriculture in China: the case study of Jinshan County with a system dynamics model. Ecol. Econ. 2005; 53(2):223–246.
- Škraba A, Kljajić M, Leskovar R. Group exploration of system dynamics models – Is there a place for a feedback loop in the decision process? Syst. Dynam.Rev. 2003;19(3): 243–263.
- Škraba A, Kljajić M, Kljajić BM. The role of information feedback in the management group decision-making process applying system dynamics models. Group Decision and Negotiation, 2007;16(1):77–95.
- WOS Expanded 2012. Available February 2, 2011, from http://wos.izum.si/CIW.cgi
- Yin X. and Struik PC. Modelling the crop: from system dynamics to systems biology. J. Exp. Botany. 2009;61(8):2171–2183.